Discover, Understand, & Accept creative art of hand-spinning & the spinning wheel “CHARKHO”
Chalo Charkho Ramiye is one of the activities of the project ‘Tantu se Sutra’, means Fibre to Yarn, is a CAUSE for “Revival of Hand-spinning” in India. Eminent Gandhian late Shri Toofan Rafai inauguration this initiative on 2nd October 2013 in Ahmedabad. Since the starting of the program regular Charkha learning sessions are organised where people of all age groups and all walks of life are participating with great interest. Till October 2018 over 25000 individuals have attended the Charkha learning sessions; mostly every participant starts spinning in the first session. Objectives of project “TANTU se SUTRA”:
- Research and documentation on hand-spinning practices, tools & equipments, existing hand-spinners, economy of hand-spinning etc.
- Conduct awareness sessions
- Facilitate creating Charkha Mandals
- Training to trainers
- Certificate Courses of hand-spinning
- Recreational hand-spinning retreats
- Organise custom-designed workshops
- Research and experimentation to generate sustainable employment through hand-spinning
- Design and execute educational material related to the subject
- Mobilize resources to sustain hand-spinning
The spread of the project is in various parts of Gujarat, Rajasthan, Maharashtra, Karnataka, Uttar Pradesh with aim to revive the skill of hand spinning across India. One of the main area of focus is to bring Charkha back to main stream education from June 2018 we ventured into formal incubation of hand spinning training in educational institutions. Level 1, 2 & 3 training along with firsthand experience of Charkha is conducted in Ahmedabad and all across India on invitation. Alongside research, documentation and public promotional activities are conducted. Contact us for more information – FILL this FORM
Our team is closely working with practicing hand-spinning artisans in different parts of India. The project aims to start CHARKHA MANDAL’s schools & education institutions, old age homes, orphanages, and practicing artisans across India.
Check our facebook page for daily updates and upcoming training and events.