Chalo Charkho Ramiye… is a Contemporary Charkha Movement. In this movement, efforts are being done to help people gain knowledge about Charkha, understand Charkha and accept it and to learn its operation.
If everyone in the world spun an hour a day there would be no more war. Peace means not about ‘no war’. It is to have peace in every person’s mind. Peace is a by-product of constructive work done by everyone with positive attitude and calm mind.
This movement started on 2 October, 2013 at Satyagraha Ashram, Kochrab in Ahmedabad. Earlier to this, different programs were organised to teach Takli, Charkha and Handspinning in Gujarat, Goa, Maharashtra, Rajasthan, Uttarakhand and Uttar Pradesh.
Charkha Mandals have been initiated. Charkha Sainiks are trained through different programmes to revive handspinning. Efforts are made to unite hand-spinning artisans with members of society to get regular work for the former.
Efforts are made to connect organisations; they are encouraged to continue and develop their work, to enable the supply of required tools and materials for handspinning.
- Mobilize resources to sustain hand-spinning
- Research and documentation on hand-spinning practices, tools & equipment, existing hand-spinners, economy of hand-spinning etc
- Events: public awareness, retreats, first-hand experience, workshops, trainings etc
- Formal trainings: Certificate courses of hand-spinning
- Facilitate Charkha Mandals
- Research based experimentation to generate sustainable employment through hand-spinning
- Design and execute educational material related to the subject
- Link and organise pre-processes as well as post-processes for sustainable revival of hand-spinning